I did the wrong thing as far as scientific experiments go–changed a couple things instead of only one variable. I added a riser pad for some cushioning, and in case there was any pinching I’m not aware of going on, and I put the kimberwicke on his regular bridle. On the plus side, there were no head-flipping or loud clicking sounds, arguing strongly for the rubber bit being more uncomfortable now than it used to be. On the down side, apparently even Lucky has his crazy days. In his case it wasn’t too serious, but the horsey ADD is back and he did try an actual scooting spook. We went in the round pen, which has the advantage of being a little more out of the wind (it’s closer to the barn, which acts as a windbreak) and gives him less to look at. He did settle down enough to finish on a good note, with a little walking around outside and in the big ring again.
So, on the up side, the kimberwicke seems to sit more comfortably in his mouth. Still, I don’t know. I have the nagging feeling he’s sore somewhere. His legs are clean and cool, but he just seems stiff. I should probably have Laura come out (maybe after the first week of May, when I’ll no longer be running around like a crazy person too much) and give him a massage. Either to loosen him up, or maybe she will find a spot I’m missing. And of course he’ll get at least a week off now, as I’ve got a competition next weekend and won’t get out to see him until Monday. Then the first weekend in May there’s a showcase, and Mom and Dad will be here, so I could also get video of him jogging so I can have a good look. Or maybe I’m just being paranoid and he’s just out of shape.